Friday, November 12, 2010

UPDATES: Simulpast, STDM and paper

Lot's of things happened the last few weeks so I need to update you on couple of things...
I've been in Barcelona last week and spent a wonderful time with the folks of the Spanish Research Council, where they allowed me to present two papers related to my PhD. They are just going to start a very exciting project called simulpast from early next year:
I quote from their website:

"The aim of the project is to develop an innovative and interdisciplinary methodological framework to model and simulate ancient societies and their relationship with environmental transformations. The propject will include 11 Research Groups of 7 different Institutions with more than 60 researchers from several fields (archaeology, anthropology, computer science, environmental studies, physics, mathematics and sociology). The leader institution is the IMF-CSIC in Barcelona."

I've never heard of any archaeological project centred on computational modelling having such broad range of case studies. This is a great opportunity and I'm really looking forward on the project outcomes. And I guess this can also be a great leap forward in terms of terms of standardisation and communicability of models. Good Luck and Thanks for the Tapas!!!

***

In the mean time I'm keeping myself (and Mark Lake) busy, as we are working for a paper which will go deeper on some of the topics we've explored for the CECD conference this September. We'll mainly focus on cultural transmission models of fitness-enhancing traits (2 and n-traits) with frequency dependency of the fitness and different types of Carrying Capacity (shared and independent) looking at short term dynamics and long term equilibrium of adoption rate and trait diversity. Stay tuned for more info!!!

***

The last but not the least! I'm quite excited, since there will be a International Symposium of Spatio-Temporal Analysis and Data Mining hosted here at UCL on July!!! This is a great chance to see many advanced techniques in spatio-temporal analysis and simulation which might give us some new perspectives in archaeology!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment